Dr. Nelby George Mathew
M.B.B.S –Government Medical College Thrissur – Calicut University -2005-2010
C R R I – Government Medical College Thrissur -2000-2001
M D Paediatrics –Assam Medical College Dibrugarh -2004-2007
DM, CMC Vellore – Aug 2012- Aug 2016
TMM Hospital Thiruvalla – Consultant & In-charge Department of Neonatology (September 2015 till date)
- Joined as In-charge of Neonatology, reorganised the NICU and expanded it to one of the best centers for neonatal care in central travancore. The NICU has 30 beds with 6 ventilators and 4 CPAP with facilities for parental nutrition and high frequency ventilation and also offers whole body cooling for asphyxiated babies .Our NICU admits about 90 neonates per month .
The NICU receives both antenatal & post natal references from nearby hospitals.
- High risk new born care : Extremely low birth weight , Pre term babies (>24 Wks) , RDS, IEM & other sick babies
- Ventilator Care : Conventional ventilator care
- Pediatric Surgical Care ; Diaphragmatic hernia ,Tracheo –esophageal fistula ,genito urinary abnormality
- Procedures: Endotracheal intubations, Central line insertion, PICC line insertion, Intra-arterial cannulation, Thoracocentesis and intercostal drain insertion, Exchange transfusions, Lumbar puncture.
- Staff Training : Training of staff & junior doctors in essential new born care ,neonatal resuscitation , high risk new born care ,routine neonatal procures &counseling parents.
- Teaching Program :Our NICU is now recognized as one of the centers for IAP fellowship program and I am currently the coordinator of the program.
D M Training Program at CMC Vellore (August 2012 -August 2016 )
In view of refining the learning and practise in Neonatal care joined CMC Vellore where fine tuning in neonatology was achived under the guidance of great practitioners. The training period involved management of variety of sick babies and got acquainted to almost all the newer gadgets in Neonatology Training period involved training in leve3 level 3 NICU attending high risk deliveries improving procedural skills high risk follow up clinic
Speciality posting included:
2months -Developmental Pediatrics
1 month- Obstretics
15 days -Medical genetics
15 days -Community care
TMM Hospital Thiruvalla – Consultant &In-charge department of Neonatology (2009 – August 2012)
Joined as in charge in Neonatology, grew the NICU care from Level 2 to Level 3, in 3 years, and ably assisted by, 2 DCH doctors, trained staff in essential new born care. The NICU has 20 beds with 3 ventilators and admits about 200 infants per year with 60 ventilated infants. The NICU got both antenatal &post natal references from nearby hospitals
- High risk new born care : Extremely low birth weight (<1000 gms) ,Pre term babies (>27
Wks) , RDS , IEM &other sick babies
Ventilator Care : Conventional ventilltory care , high frequency ventillatory care
- Pediatric Surgical Care ; Diaphragmatic hernia ,Tracheo –esophageal fistula gastro urinary abnormality
- Procedures: Endotracheal intubations, Central line insertion, PICC line insertion, Intra-arterial cannulation, Thoracocentesis and intercostal drain insertion, Exchange transfusions, Lumbar puncture, Peripheral long lines.
- Staff Training : Training of staff & junior doctors in essential new born care ,neonatal resuscitation , high risk new born care ,routine neonatal procures & counseling parents.
PVS Memorial Hospital – Registrar, NICU (March 2008- February 2009)
Worked under the guidance of Dr Tonny Mampilly got advanced training in neonatal care. PVS memorial hospital is a tertiary care center for Neonatology & Pediatrics. The NICU has 22 beds with 8 ventilators including 1 high frequency ventilator. The unit admits approximately 500 infants per year including about 150 ventilated infants. The units also handle neonatal surgical problems. The PICU and Pediatric unit offer tertiary service.
In PVS hospital I got training and worked on:
- High risk new born care : Extremely low birth weight ,Pre term babies , RDS , IEM & other sick babies.
- High risk pediatric care :Pediatric Ventilation ,PICU care ,Pediatric OPD & causality management.
- Ventilator Care &procedures: Conventional ventilltory care , high frequency ventillatory care & routine pediatric &new born procedures Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh – Senior House officer, M.D Residency program (2004 – 2007)
- 9 Months – NICU posting
6 Months – PICU posting
4 Months – Pediatric Cardiology
17 Months – General Pediatrics ,Pediatric Nephrology , Pediatric neurology
RESEARCH & PRESENTATIONS
- Pediatric advance life support (PALS) provider course completed at Guwahati Medical
- Actively participated in Numerous State and National Pediatric conferences.
- This is submitted to university – Nephrotic syndrome clinical presentation & quantitation of urinary protein using protein creatine ratio in random urine sample of nephrotic children.
- Second place in paper presentation in East zone cardiology conference.
- Case presentation in Assam state conference 2006.
- Thesis submitted to university for DM– Hour specific bilirubin nomogram with transcutaneous bilirubinometer for late preterm babies.
- Publication – Appendicular Perforation in a Neonate Masquerading as Testicular Torsion.